IGA Stabbing: Two Suspects Charged Under New Retail Worker Protection Laws

Two individuals now face charges in connection with a shocking incident that transpired at the Riverstone IGA in Sydney’s north-west. This disturbing event unfolded on a Sunday afternoon around 4:15 pm, when emergency services, including the police and an ambulance, were summoned to the scene. What they encountered was a 47-year-old man, presumably the store manager, who had sustained grievous stab wounds to his side and chest.

Swiftly, paramedics sprang into action, administering critical care on-site before promptly transporting the injured man to Westmead Hospital, where he underwent urgent surgery. Fortunately, his condition now stands as stable, a testament to the tireless efforts of the medical team.

Allegations put forth by the authorities contend that the victim, a dedicated retail worker, found himself in harm’s way while attempting to apprehend two individuals suspected of shoplifting. In the ensuing altercation, another employee was also assaulted, sustaining a punch to the face. The gravity of these actions cannot be understated.

The law enforcement agencies swiftly took action, apprehending a 31-year-old man from Fairfield East and a 21-year-old woman from Wetherill Park. Their bail requests were firmly denied, and they were scheduled to appear in the Blacktown Local Court on the following Monday.

Subsequently, the male suspect was brought to the Riverstone Police Station, where he was officially charged with wounding another person with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm. On the other hand, the female suspect was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, in addition to the charge of larceny stemming from the shoplifting incident.

This grim occurrence comes after significant legislative changes in New South Wales. In June of the preceding year, the state government implemented a series of stringent penalties aimed at those who assault retail workers. Under these new laws, inflicting grievous bodily harm upon a retail worker while they are performing their duties, or even acting recklessly to cause actual bodily harm to the worker or another person, now carries a maximum penalty of 11 years imprisonment.

This incident is a stark reminder of the imperative need to protect those who tirelessly serve the public within our retail establishments and the consequences that await those who choose to disregard the law.

For the latest retailer news and information, check out the IndiHub website or to speak to us about how we can help your business contact us.

Scroll to Top